Thursday, January 14, 2016

holiday highlights

(At the Unionville Millennium Bandstand)

I know it's the first couple weeks of 2016, and I should be looking forward to the year ahead, but I feel like the Holidays went by so quickly this year, that I barely had a chance to take it all in. I did so much, but I was also working a lot (kind of missing that now though that retail has slowed way down and I'm barely working anymore), which never really allowed me to slow down and enjoy the moment. I was so busy planning fun festive things to do on my days off, that I never had time to relax and reflect on how fun the last two months of the year were and how lucky I was to be able to do so much with so many people I love. So here are some of my Holiday highlights that I wanted to share with all of you, and hopefully this will also get me out of my January funk (I go through this every year; when everything slows right down and I have too much time on my hands), and remind me that more fun is just around the corner. For more highlights visit my Instagram.

One Of A Kind Show
I went a few years ago with my mom, sister, and grandmother, but didn't have time to go last year. So we cut it a little close, but Phil and I were able to make it on the late shopping night this year (where the show is open until 11 instead of 9, because we both worked until 6 that night). We tasted a bunch of yummy food and saw all the beautiful handmade items. I've never been to the spring show, but I had so much fun I think I'll make it a point to go this year.

(My favourite booth from the Show; "Crazy Plate Lady")

Christmas Parade
Every year Phil goes to the Christmas Parade in the town where he grew up (around New Market), and this year he invited me to come with him. He'd shown me his old town before, but I never get tired of visiting there with him, walking around the town, and seeing his old house. We also found a hiking trail in the summer that we walked along when we went for the parade, since it wasn't too cold or snowy. We ate lunch there, walked around the town some more, and then spent the rest of the day in New Market. It was perfect.


Toronto Christmas Market
I posted some pictures last year of when Elana and I went down to the Distillery District (click here to read the post), but we didn't realize that the actual Christmas Market was over by the time we went, so all the booths were closed down, even though all the decorations were up, which was enough for us to see the District decorated beautifully for the Holidays. Luckily, Phil and I made it this year while the Market was still going on, so we got to experience the true Market, and see all the artisan goods and food.








Girl Time
My family usually goes away somewhere warm for the Holidays, but this year only my dad and brother went, so it was just my mom, my sister, and myself in the house for about two weeks. The three of us at home is pretty much my favourite dynamic of our house, because it's a lot quieter, calmer, and more fun! We had a few girls' nights watching movies at home, and roasting marshmallows in front of the cozy fire, and we went to the VIP cinemas one night to see Sisters (my mom had never been to VIP and she had a blast). I had to go to Unionville one day so I could pick up part of my Secret Santa gift for work from the confectionary there (photo of what I picked up on my Instagram), so they decided to come along and we had a really nice day walking around, going into shops, and getting coffee and snacks.



(Some festive cookies from the Old Firehall Confectionary)



Holiday Baking
One of the easiest and only things I know how to make it Rice Krispie squares, and Elana and I love making the red and green ones during December. It's nothing big, but we just love spending sister time melting the marshmallows and making the Rice Krispies together, and then of course devouring them right after. Phil and I were also really excited to make a gingerbread house together this year. We did it while watching Christmas Vacation, which he was so excited to show me, since I've never seen it and it's his favourite Christmas movie, so that's probably the most Christmassy thing we could have done! We also baked gingerbread cookies in fun shapes on Christmas morning. (And yes I know making a gingerbread house really does not require any baking, nor does making Rice Krispie squares for that matter, but I couldn't find a better caption for this section)







Niagara Falls
I already made a post about Phil and I spending our one year anniversary in Niagara a few weeks ago, but I had to add it in here too, since it was definitely a huge highlight for me. It gets very crazy, expensive, and busy when our anniversary is a week before Christmas Eve, but to be able to get away and spend time just the two of us was perfect. I just don't know how we'll top it for our two year anniversary.





My first Christmas and Phil's first Hannukah
Since I'm Jewish I've obviously never celebrated Christmas before, and Phil being Catholic has never celebrated Hannukah, so it was great to be able to share our own Holidays with each other. He came to my family's Hannukah party where he got to eat latkes and light the Hannukah candles, and I had the best December 25th yet, spending the day with his whole family and eating so much turkey and stuffing.

(Yummy cookies at our Hannukah party)

(Christmas Day at Phil's Godmother's house; the problem when three people take pictures at once)

New Year's
Again, I already posted about how I spent my New Year's Eve in my first post of the year, but since it was really the last highlight of the year I had to add it in here as well. So here's just some cute pictures of Phil and I spending a quiet New Year's at home.



Just a few more random highlights...

(Christmas glasses found at H&M at the Eaton Centre)

(The beautiful tree of lights at Dundas Square)

(The first real snowfall of the season. Phil and I were at Shops at Don Mills when it happened, and this display looked beautiful after the snow)

This will be my last post for a while, as I've been dying to re-design and makeover my blog, and just couldn't find the time. I don't know when I'll be back, but stay updated on my Facebook page and Instagram, and I can assure you when I am back, it will be a new and beautiful Robyn Styles!

No comments:

Post a Comment