Thursday, September 10, 2015

summer highlights

(A view of the city on the ferry ride to Toronto Island)

I have to say, this summer was wholly and completely the most amazing summer I've had in a really long time. I did so many things, some planned and some not planned (I told you about my list), but I never felt pressured for time or to get stuff done. And of course I had such amazing people to share the summer with. Yes, I complained about the cold weather, and I complained about the really hot weather, but I think that as long as you're with people you love and have fun with, it doesn't really matter what you do or how you spend your time. I'm fortunate enough to have all of those things, and I want to share with you all about my summer!

(These items are listed in no particular order).

Met some of my idols
In June, before Fall Out Boy's concert they did an album signing at HMV Underground (at Yonge and Dundas), so of course I jumped at the chance to a) meet my favourite band, and b) get their latest album signed by all the band members. And then seeing them play live that night just completed one of the coolest days ever!


I know Felicia Day from various tv shows and a few internet series, and she is so true to herself in many characters she plays in that she is a geek (like myself). So to find out that she wrote a book exploring what it is to be weird and about being yourself really made me happy and resonated with me. And then to find out that she was going on a book tour to promote it and was doing signings, i was ecstatic. Even if it was only for a quick signing and a picture, I got to meet and hug one of my inspirations.


Movie in the park
Back to the Future is my boyfriend's and my favourite movie (and trilogy); it's what we first bonded over when we met over a year and a half ago, and is still one of our favourite topics after almost nine months of dating, so it holds a very special place in my heart. We found out that the Beach Village was putting together a few movie nights in various parks around Toronto, and that Back to the Future was on the list. We took blankets and of course wore our matching shirts, and had such a great night watching our favourite movie under the stars.


Muskoka
Over the last few years, we try to have a girl's getaway with my mom, sister, grandmother, and myself, whether borrowing my aunt's cottage or using our family friend's unit at the Taboo Muskoka Resort for a few days (which we did this year). The four of us have so much fun together so it's always a blast going with them. Though the first few days we were up there it was quite grey and cold out, that didn't stop us from going in the lake anyways, and then playing board games indoors when we got rained out. And by the last day and a half, the sun was out and it warmed up so much.

(Some Muskoka chairs on a hiking trail)

(Beach sunset)

(Finally got to soak up some sun)

Mini road trips
Niagara Falls
As I mentioned in a previous weekend highlights this summer, my sister and I impulsively decided to drive to Niagara Falls for the day and just have a fun day of doing silly tourist things just the two of us.



Elora
Shortly after Elana's and my adventure to the Falls, my parents were craving a mini road trip to a town they hadn't been to in a while, which brought us and our dog to Elora, a beautiful town near Guelph.

(The car ride with Elana and Buddy)


Niagara On The Lake
My boyfriend and I decided to drive over for the day one weekday, so it wasn't too crowded. We walked by the lake, shopped, and went for lunch and ice cream. It was the perfect day.


(Jackson Triggs Winery)

Concerts
Of course there's always at least one concert I go to in the summer (for the last five or so years at least), but I was a little sad because I only had the Fall Out Boy concert lined up for this summer. In the end, I ended up seeing four concerts though, and I was definitely pleased. Two bands were ones that my boyfriend got me into, so it's always fun to go see live music with him as he's such a lover and fanatic of music. And the fourth, very last minute concert a friend of mine told me about, was that the band was playing a free show at Panamania at the Pan Am Games. Which brings me to my next summer highlight.

(Fall Out Boy)

(Harem Scarem)

(The Maine)

(Mariana's Trench at Panamania)

Nathan Phillips Square
I've talked about this before so I will be quick here, but it was just so cool to be down at the square, the centre of the Pan Am Games. Seeing all the tourists and people excited for the games and celebrating their patriotism, but also seeing people from all over the world come together, and of course, the huge Toronto letters!



The Beaches, Harbour Front, and Toronto Island
With some of the heat we had this summer it was essential to me to spend lots of time near the water. Even though I didn't actually go in the water at any of the places listed above, just being by the water gives a nice break in the heat and humidity, and of course there are tons of fun things to do at all these places.

(Panorama of Woodbine Beach)

(Phil and I on the boardwalk at Harbour Front)

(Running through sprinklers on Toronto Island with my sister in the heat wave. One of my funnest and silliest memories of the summer)

Girls' nights
In the group of girls that I work with and am close with, we are all totally different ages, so during the school year we all have very different schedules and free time. So in the summer is when at least most of our schedules line up and we are able to spend time together outside of work. This usually happens when it's someone's birthday, and although not all of us could make it out for every celebration, we did get to spend some much needed girl time together.


Amusement parks
I hadn't been to Canada's Wonderland in a few years, so I'm so happy that I was able to go not once, but twice this year. And the second time my boyfriend and I went it was about 40 degrees out, so we spent almost the entire day at the water park, which was so fun, because I haven't been since I was about ten years old.


(Beautiful night views)

Phil and I also got the chance to go to the CNE, which I had never really been to, so that was so exciting too. We went on rides, bought cool stuff, and of course ate unique and delicious food!


Fanexpo
I noted that none of these summer activities were in any particular order, except this one always comes last, because it always takes place on Labour Day weekend. After my sister and I discovered this event completely by accident three years ago, it's become our tradition and it's probably one of the best and most fun traditions I have (with anyone). We get to dress up as our favourite characters, and go to Q&A's with our favourite actors and actresses from our favourite shows and movies, and this year was probably one of the best lineups of celebrity guests in all the years.

(View from the North Building)

(Waiting for the first Q&A of the weekend to start)

(My day 1 cosplay; Marty McFly)

(My cosplay for day 2; Thor)

(Day 3 cosplay; Maggie from The Walking Dead)

Of course there were many more highlights and fun things I did this summer (my best friend visiting, going to Taste of the Danforth, a cottage weekend, and Mac and Cheese Festival), so head to my Instagram to see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment