Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sequin Minis


Though I'd obviously seen them around before, as it is a popular trend, when I was on my cruise a few weeks back, I really started noticing a lot of people wearing sequin mini skirts at night (for dinners and shows and such), particularly in an aztec patterns. It's such a simple concept (a skirt), but when you add a little more aesthetic (sequins and pattern), you can take your look that much further.

I may say this about a lot of things (but honestly with the right item it's very, very true), but these cute sequin skirts can basically be worn for any occasion. A casual shopping date with a friend? Just throw on a white T and sneakers. A fancy dinner on date night? Wear your skirt with a bustier and heels.

One of my favourite things about these sequin skirts is that they are usually so colourful (although there are some toned-down ones that I've used in my collage), so there are endless options of tops and accessories to pair with them. And while I mentioned that a lot of the skirts I was seeing on my cruise were in an aztec pattern, I've also since been seeing sequin skirts with other patterns that are just as beautiful and wearable.

I have created a collage of some really awesome aztec-print sequin skirts, and below, I will pick two different colours of those skirts and show you how to style them in a few ways, so you can really see how versatile the skirts can be. If it seems that I always go for lighter colours when creating casual outfits (like a white T) and darker colours when creating dressier ones (a slim black long sleeve), it's because that's how I make outfits in my own life. I'm a firm believer that (with the right styling, of course) lighter colours are more casual, especially a white T with a graphic or text on it (as used in the first outfit), and darker colours do make a look more dressy.

The first set of pictures after the collage are how I would style a sequin skirt for winter (casual on the left, dressy on the right) and the second set is how I would style one for warmer weather (again, casual on the left and dressy on the right), just to show you how you can bring this trend into other seasons. Needless to say, I think I've found my favourite trend for the rest of the the winter and spring!


1. Boohoo
3. Boohoo
5. Boohoo
7. H&M


Left 
Top: Wilfred
Jacket: Boda Skins
Earrings: Pilgrim
Boots: Coye Nokes

Right
Sweater: J. Crew
Scarf: Hat Attack
Boots: Monsoon


Left
Top: Mango
Bracelets: Judi Powers
Jacket: Junarose
Bag: Moda Luxe
Shoes: Vans

Right
Necklace: Go Jane
Clutch: Bally

No comments:

Post a Comment