Tuesday, July 21, 2015

weekend highlights

(Me in the town of Elora, Ontario; photo by Elana Emer)

This is my second weekend highlights post within two weeks, and both weekends were jam packed with amazing and cool things enjoyed with so many people I love, and I could not be more grateful. I may have said this before, but I always feel like every summer I have a list of things I want to do but I always feel like I have the entire summer to do them so I always end up putting them off. Around the last week or so of August I look at my list of things to do and realize I've barely done any of it and while I still had a pretty good summer, I didn't take advantage of the weather and time off I had. So this summer my boyfriend and I actually made a physical list of things we want to do and places we want to go, and are trying our hardest to do at least one thing a week in order to do everything on the list before the summer ends. And I have to say it's working out really well and I'm having the most amazing summer so far!

Over the last week I worked 7 days in a row, but it was worth it in order to get last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday off. It really motivated me to get through the work week (or at least my version of the work week), knowing that I would have those three days off and that I had so many fun things planned. On Wednesday I finished work at 5 so my weekend technically started that night, especially because my sister and I headed down to Nathan Phillips Square to check out some activities for the Pan Am Games, called Panamania. One of our favourite bands, Mariana's Trench, was performing at around 10pm, so we got there a little early just to see what all the hype was about. If you saw my Instagram, there's a gorgeous colourful "Toronto" sign (photo below) right near the water they have there and as the sun was setting it was just so beautiful and cool to see everyone gathered around, taking pictures and playing with their families and friends. A lot of people were dressed very patriotically, some in full red and white Canadian attire while some had maybe just a Canadian flag in their hand, but either way it was just so amazing to see everyone so proud to be Canadian.


Thursday my boyfriend and I went to Wonderland, as neither of us have been in a few years, and no Torontinian summer is really complete without a trip there. We had the best day; the weather was perfect (not too humid, but the sun was out the whole time) and it was a Thursday so there wasn't an enormous crowd of people, so we never had to wait too long for a ride. We are definitely planning on going back once more this summer. Friday my boyfriend and I headed up to New Market to hang around for a few hours and then to a drive-in movie, where we saw Minions and Jurassic World, both of which we really enjoyed. I haven't been to a drive-in theatre since I was little, so it was so fun to do that again, and we are also making it a point to go back there again this summer!

(Wonderland selfie)

Saturday I was lucky enough to get the day off work (which very rarely happens), so my family and I packed ourselves and the dog into the car and headed off to this little town about an hour and a half away called Elora, just near Guelph, Ontario. There's a Gorge that everyone goes there to see, but pretty much the only good view is at a conservation area, which we didn't go to. We went to the main street of the town, where there were tons of little shops and a few cafes, candy shops, and restaurants. We found a great little shop called "Refind Salvage" that was definitely our favourite, which had tons of little vintage finds and just the cutest stuff (my sister bought an old polaroid camera), which you'll see below.

(English Bonbons at an adorable little candy store)

(Refind Salvage)

(My mom and I were so excited about this display, because it's both of our initials)


(This and the rest of the photos by Elana Emer)



(Exploring residential areas of the town)


(Buddy enjoying some water while we enjoyed lunch on a patio)



After heading home from Elora, Saturday night was spent downtown with some girls from work to celebrate another friend's birthday. You can never say no to a girl's night, especially when so many old friends come out too! Sunday was back to work, but once again after a great weekend I can say I'm actually prepared for the week ahead. And this time I only have to wait until Wednesday for my next full day off, and I can't wait to do cross another fun activity off my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment