Friday, October 2, 2015

dress/pants

(Banana Republic, Fall 2015)

One of the trends that are carrying over to fall that I wasn't too sure about at first was wearing a dress over pants. I know I disregard a lot of styles because I just know I won't be able to pull it off because of my body shape, but for this one I thought even for tall, modelesque people, surely this can't look cool, or even good? But seeing street style photos just showed me how wrong I was.

After seeing those few pictures of people pulling off this trend, I became obsessed. Every dress I come across now, I think "that would really look great over a pair of pants". I'm still waiting for the perfect dress and pant combination for my body type to try this trend out myself, but for now, making outfits to show you guys is satisfying me.

I would've thought that dresses with a waistline or quite a bit of shape would be the best to wear with this trend, but I've actually found that shift dresses and ones with only minimal shape look best. As well, I would go for dresses that are a bit longer; you would think that ones that go to your mid-thigh would look the best and not so frumpy, but I've actually seen some midi dresses and ones that at least go past the knee that look really good with pants. This trend just keeps on surprising me. And a plus for the coming months: the pants keep out the chill!

I really love this look because of how structured it is and how appropriate this can be for the office. The leather pants and camel coloured turtleneck dress just completely say "fall" to me, and in the cooler weather you could throw a plaid poncho on top for that extra warmth, or a sleeveless blazer if you need something a little more formal for the office.


Dress: Beautiful Halo
Pants: Saint Laurent
Necklace: Banana Republic
Watch: Larsson & Jennings
Sunglasses: Miu Miu
Bag: Balenciaga
Boots: ONA

This outfit has all the essentials for a dressy night out; white blazer, laced up pumps, an embellished clutch, and a sultry slip-dress. So why not add an ankle-length trouser for that extra-oomph. The colour palette and accessories are already so on trend, so adding the dress-over-pants combo will just up your style cred even more. And even though the trousers aren't skinny, they still work because the dress is so slim.


Dress: Are You Am I
Trousers: Rebecca Taylor
Blazer: Thisisnon
Earrings: John Lewis
Cuff: Rachel Zoe
Clutch: L.K. Bennett
Pumps: Rupert Sanderson

Just like every fall, I'm really loving olive green, and especially when combined with a medium grey, like I used here. This outfit is perfect for a casual day that you just want to spend feeling super comfy.  It's simple and minimalist, while still being super stylish.


Dress: Acne Studios
Pants: Diesel
Poncho: Harvey Nichols
Necklace: Gina Tricot
Ring: The Dressing Room 
Bucket Bag: 3.1 Phillip Lim
Loafers: Stella McCartney

My recent love for the 70's boho style is taking me right into fall. I would totally wear this dress with boots and a floppy hat in the early fall, and add a pair of jeans when the weather gets even cooler. And these dark flare jeans go so perfectly with this boho dress. If you're either too short (like me) or want to pull off a toned down 70's look, go for a pair of dark skinny jeans instead of these flare ones.


Dress: Oasis
Jeans: Net A Porter
Hat: Kohl's
Necklace: Kate Spade New York
Rings: Rebecca Minkoff
Bag: Outdoor and Country
Boots: Guess

Are you yay or nay for the dress-over-pants trend?

No comments:

Post a Comment