Friday, October 23, 2015

fall denim


Yup, you guessed it, another denim post. I just can't help myself. Denim is my obsession and my uniform. It is so versatile, and there are basically infinite possibilities because there are basically infinite styles of denim. I never used to be an everyday denim person (I usually saved it for days when I actually wanted to put some effort into my outfit, as I used to find jeans uncomfortable and dressy), but now I pretty much wear a different style of denim every day and they are definitely my go-to look when I don't want to or can't put a lot of effort into my outfit. Although I definitely don't follow the rule of "no white after labour day", I've decided to stick to blue and black denim for this post, because I love the way they look with fall colours (burgundy, orange, etc.).

I am so in love with this colour palette. It's so simple, with the navy jeans, white, and black, but then I put in little pops of burgundy, without making the look too colour coordinated. The gold accessories also pop in the outfit (rather than silver would), and the leopard sunnies are a fall classic, and the style was a bit 70's to match the outfit. You could totally wear something like this for a dressy afternoon out, perhaps brunch at a nice restaurant, or trade in the chunky boot for a slim heel for nighttime. I've been incorporating a lot of 70's style outfits into my posts because I just love the style, but this one is very toned-down in that you could even switch the flare jeans for a pair of skinnies if you're not 100% into the 70's trend.


Blouse: Valentino
Jeans: H&M
Poncho: Nelly
Earrings: White House Black Market
Ring: Bling Jewelry
Sunglasses: Revolve Clothing
Bag: Loeffler Randall
Boots: Ash Footwear
Lipstick: Nars Audacious Lipstick

A style of denim I'm seriously coveting right now is skinny black jeans with slits on the knees. They're so sleek and flattering; I've seen them on many body types and they literally always look amazing. It seems like this fall denim post is actually turning into one big "currently coveting" post, but one colour I am really wanting for fall is this burnt orange colour. I try not to buy too many trendy colours since I've become very basic in my clothing and have been sticking to black and white (and lots of denim) in my outfits. But after seeing sooo much of this burnt orange I know I need this colour in my wardrobe, and I know it will be on trend pretty much every fall season. This outfit is perfect for a laid back work environment, where you don't have to dress too conservatively. Otherwise, trade in the ripped jeans for a pair of black trousers. This look will also take you from day to night seamlessly because of the sleekness of it. Wear the scarf as part of the outfit during the day, then take it off to reveal the necklace and add a red or burgundy lip for a night out.


Top: Tibi
Jeans: Topshop
Blazer: New Look
Coat: Mango
Scarf: H&M
Necklace: River Island
Watch: Larsson & Jennings
Bag: Tory Burch
Heels: Jimmy Choo

My new favourite style of jeans to wear is a distressed pair in a medium blue, in more of a slim cut (I have about 3 pairs). I find you can only wear certain tops with skinny and boyfriend jeans, but you can wear mostly anything with a straight or slim cut because it's in the middle, and therefore you have more options. I'm also a very firm believer in accessories, which is why you can wear something simple and super comfy like distressed jeans and a big sweater, but when you add in the structured bag and hat, and heeled boots, the outfit appears extremely put together. P.S. Can you tell I'm loving all these warm tones?


Sweater: Farfetch
Jeans: Luc Luc
Coat: Chicwish
Hat: Emilio Pucci
Bracelets: Madewell
Bag: Burberry
Boots: Paul Andrew x Goop

One denim piece I've wanted since the summer was a blue denim skirt. I wasn't really into this style with the buttons going all down the front back in the spring, but after seeing so many amazing ways of styling it I decided I had to have one. I decided I could wear it with a basic white or black t-shirt in the summer, and then with a sweater and tights when the weather got cooler, which is just how I styled this look. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one that suited me yet, so I'm still on the hunt for one!


Sweater: Coggles
Skirt: Topshop
Poncho: Whistles
Hat: Phase 3
Tights: House of Fraser
Bucket Bag: Chloe
Boots: Gianvito Rossi

I haven't worn patchwork denim since the early 2000's, but I'm loving the street style photos I've been seeing of fashionistas rocking the hell out of these recently. A lot of people have been doing the Canadian Tuxedo with patchwork denim (the top denim also being patchwork), trying to go to the extreme with their denim. As much as I can get behind that for something special, like fashion week, in your day-to-day life, that may be a little much. Because the jeans are so busy with the patches, keep the rest of your outfit simple in terms of pieces (I just chose a basic t-shirt), as well as colour palette. I chose black because it's the simplest, but you could also do another solid colour like olive green or burnt orange for fall. Because of the sleekness of this look now, you could wear it to the office (again, if your dress code isn't too formal), or out for drinks or dinner with friends.


Top: Isabel Marant
Jeans: Marks and Spencer
Blazer: Stella McCartney
Earrings: Fashionest
Necklace: Topshop
Bracelets: Guess
Bag: Chanel
Pumps: Acne Studios

How are you styling your fall denim?

No comments:

Post a Comment