Friday, August 8, 2014

Summer Must-Do's

As September draws closer and closer, I keep thinking about how my summer has been so far and if I've been enjoying it. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you're so busy and constantly doing things, and you just need to take a minute, step back, and reflect. And even though I have been working non-stop (not that I'm complaining), I am doing other things that make me happy, and I have come to the conclusion that yes, I am having an amazing summer. Even if you live and breathe work and barely get a day to yourself, be sure and take a day off once in a while and do at least a few of the things on my summer must-do list.

1. Go to a concert


I generally go see live music all-year round, but there's just something about an outdoor concert in the summer. What's better than listening to your favourite band live outside when the weather is beautiful?

2. Sit by the water


For me it doesn't get any better than lying in my backyard with a good book and getting some colour (I am extremely pale and so any chance I get I am putting on the tanning oil and sitting outside). But there is no better feeling than taking a break from the sun rays and going for a quick dip in the pool, lake, or ocean.

3. Stay in


Some weeks I work almost every day, and since I'm on my feet the whole time, when I do get a day off I love just being off my feet, staying in bed or on the couch and just reading or watching movies. It really gives my feet a well-deserved break! Especially if you've been spending your summer going crazy with partying and going out, it's good to give yourself (and your body) a break once in a while.

4. Go out


Once you've had that day to relax, it's time to go out! Whether for a friend's birthday, to celebrate a special event, or just because, take advantage of what I call no-coat-check season, and dance the night away.

5. Create your own summer cocktail


Something about the summer always makes me want to sip cold, fruity, alcohol-infused drinks out of a cute cocktail glass. I'm not one to stick with conventional cocktails (and I never have the right ingredients in my house), so I usually just end up mixing a bunch of random things together and it always ends up tasting good.

6. Spend time outdoors


Even if you're working a lot, even if you hate being outside, even if you'd rather be doing something else, take some time and spend it outside in this gorgeous summer weather (it won't last for much longer). There are tons of shops and patios down on Queen and King West; there are various parks and conservation areas in the city if you want to take a picnic or a book to read; and there are free movies being shown in various parks around Toronto all summer.

7. Be a tourist


Do something different that this beautiful city has to offer. In Toronto you can go to the Distillery District, Ripley's Aquarium, Centre Island, the zoo, and many other things. And other cities have similar, awesome things to try!

8. Do something that makes you happy


That something may have been listed above, but if not (or even if it is), just do whatever comes to mind when you think about being happy. Being the geek that I am, for me this is going to Fan Expo, a Toronto convention (think Comic Con) at the end of the summer. Going with my best friend (my sister), it's always the perfect way to end my summer.

What's on your summer to-do list?

No comments:

Post a Comment