Friday, March 28, 2014

Fanatic

As you can probably tell from my bio, tumblr, and my post about comic book prints, I’m a bit of a geek. I’m obsessed with sci-fi and fantasy (books, movies, shows) and I love wearing clothing that shows this obsession. I used to think graphic t-shirts made an outfit look very unpolished and plain, but when I absolutely couldn’t resist buying or wearing them anymore, I realized it all depends on how you style the look.

Most of the fandom t-shirts that I have are a little baggy since they tend to only be sold in men’s sizes, so I usually wear them with slim trousers or jeans. I also usually wear them with a blazer or feminine-looking cardigan to make the outfit look more styled. There are times, however, when I really dig the androgynous look and let that inspire my fandom outfits (see Star Trek photo at the bottom).

Black Milk has several lines of fandom clothing that I absolutely love. I especially love these leggings from Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Because they’re printed and very busy, I would keep the top very simple- either black or a plain dark colour for the Lord of the Rings leggings. For the Harry Potter ones, because they’re black and white, you could just do any plain, coloured shirt.



I don’t really like buying clothes online since everywhere tends to fit very differently, so Hot Topic is really where I go for a lot of my fandom merchandise. They have a really good Doctor Who line and Disney line, and there’s almost always sales and promotions going on, like a BOGO activity. I bought this Doctor Who skirt from there a few months ago and it’s one of my favourite pieces of fandom clothing.

Disney
I think the Disney fandom deserves honourable mention. I believe you're never too old to want to be a princess, and I am one 22 year old that is not afraid to show it (my mom thinks I'm crazy for being so in love with the Disney princesses). I bought this top from Hot Topic and it's so fun to style because of all the colours in it, but that day I opted for simple black and white. Some people may feel like a little kid again, walking around in these kinds of shirts, but I think if you style it properly, you can look as mature and grown-up as you want to.




Blazer: Tristan
Top: Hot Topic
Skirt: Garage
Bag: Longchamp

A lot of stores are starting to sell fandom clothes like this, especially super hero and disney items, so they're very easy to find and you don't need to spend the extra money for shipping from ordering online. Just as a little bonus, here is more of my sister's and my (we share a lot of our clothes, especially fandom ones) current fandom clothing collection!


Firefly
Top: Jason Palmer Studios via Fanexpo
Cardigan: Tristan
Cords: Joe Fresh
Slippers: Zara


Star Wars
Top: HMV
Blazer: Costa Blanca
Trousers: Joe Fresh
Necklace: Target


Mickey Mouse
Top: Disney World
Blazer: Attitude Jay Manuel
Belt: Old Navy


Back to the Future
Top: Forever 21
Chambray Blouse: Forever 21
Pleather Shorts: Seduction


Marvel Super Heroes
 Top: The Disney Store
White Button Down: Joe Fresh
Boyfriend Jeans: H&M
Flats: Old Navy


Star Trek
Top: HMV
Denim Jacket: Talula via Aritzia
Tuque: H&M


Doctor Who
T-shirt: H&M
Skirt: Hot Topic
Blazer: Silence & Noise via Urban Outfitters
Sneakers: Keds

What are some of your favourite fandoms, and what do you wear or do to show the world you love them?

No comments:

Post a Comment