Friday, March 21, 2014

The Roaring 20s

This week I had a project due for school where I had to research an era of my choosing, and then write a report on the fashion of that time and create my own look and do a mini photo shoot. I had so much fun with the photo shoot, that I decided to take some extra pictures and make a blog post about it. I also thought I'd share some interesting facts I came across while doing research for this assignment. Enjoy!

In the 1920s, lipstick was applied as a "Cupid's-Bow" or Armor's Bow, to the upper lip; the lower lip was exaggerated a bit, and the width of the lips de-emphasized a little. Fingernails were painted only in the nail center; the half-moon and nail tip were left bare and white. 


            


For most of the 1920s, solid colours were preferred over prints, since they showed off beads, embroidery and ribbon decorations better.

Hose were often worn with back seams, usually in black or white, as nude was considered too racy.


In 1922, King Tut’s tomb was discovered, which set off a craze for all things Egyptian. Clothing styles and embellishments reflected designs and patterns of ancient Egypt.


For my outfit, I chose to do a black flapper dress (with layers), a turquoise faux fur stole, black evening gloves, a black clutch, dangly earrings, and of course lots of layered pearls. The shoes I chose were black T strap Mary Janes I curled my hair and then put it in a faux bob and topped it off with a headband. I added red lipstick and also gave myself a beauty mark, just for fun!







Dress: H&M
Fur stole: Indigo
Gloves: Vintage
Lipstick: Mac Viva Glam I
Shorter Necklace: Vintage 

No comments:

Post a Comment