Friday, February 13, 2015

tea time


One of my favourite new obsessions is tea length skirts. It's probably a combination of the fact that maxi skirts are way too long on me (because of my height) and the fullness of the skirt, but I think this style skirt is just beautiful. I am not afraid to admit that I have picked up 3 tea length skirts over the past month or so, and can't wait to photograph them and share them with you, once the weather warms up (even a bit).


I always say that things are "so versatile", but with these skirts, there are fancier ones, and there are more casual ones. Sure, if you invest in the exact right one, you could wear it for many occasions as the style itself is versatile. But I'm going to show you how to style a printed and plain tea length skirt for each dressy and casual occasions.


1. Coast
2. ROMWE
3. OASIS
4. Tibi
5. Dolce & Gabbana
6. Ted Baker
7. Tibi
8. New Look

I usually say that print will dress an outfit down (this is usually for graphic t-shirts), but you can definitely pull off a print for a nicer occasion. I only say this because print can be seen as too playful, and depending on the event, there is usually a dress code. For a very formal affair, go for a more structured style and keep your accessories simple and sophisticated. The shine from the metallic colouring also helps dress this outfit up, as does keeping the colour pallet simple and classic.


Top: Jonathan Simkhai
Skirt: Coast
Jacket: Topshop
Earrings: Panacea
Bracelet: Kenneth Jay Lane
Bag: Hermes
Heels: Giuseppe Zanotti

While I wouldn't recommend a print for a formal event (unless it's done with absolute precision and care), if you are going to, I suggest an abstract print like this one. You could definitely do an outfit like this for a more conservative dressy occasion, like tea or a business event. Again, keep your accessories simple, and the more fine jewelry you use, the more dressed up your outfit will be.


Top: UNIQLO
Skirt: Tibi
Earrings: Yoox.com
Bracelet: Givenchy
Clutch: St. John
Heels: Saint Laurent

A printed skirt for a casual day is super easy to pull off. A basic jersey long sleeve T and flat shoes are a great way to keep the outfit laid-back. Especially when topped with a denim jacket. I feel like I might be getting ahead of myself with all these Spring outfit ideas, seeing as in Toronto this is the coldest it's been all winter (so far), but I just can't help it. Once we pass the holidays, and January ends, and retail stores have more Spring items than Winter, I just go right into Spring mode. Hopefully it actually arrives soon!


Top: Topshop
Skirt: Dolce & Gabbana
Jacket: Paradise Mine
Sunglasses: Oliver Peoples
Bag: Saint Laurent
Shoes: Toast
Lipstick: The Body Shop Colour Crush in Red Siren

And of course, if you're not going to go for a printed skirt for something dressed down, a graphic T is perfect. Something cute and dorky like Ninja Turtles, keeping the colour pallet soft and pretty. But if graphic T's aren't your thing, try a loose-fitting, basic top (even like the one above), with a long chain necklace.


Top: Forever 21
Skirt: New Look
Jacket: Aeropostale
Bangles: Ippolita
Bag: Vince Camuto
Flats: Valentino

Are you loving tea length skirts as much as I am? Are you going for printed or plain this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment