Wednesday, February 11, 2015

grammys: best looks


While the Grammys are no Oscars, fashion and celebrity-wise, it is one of the bigger award shows and it did get me very excited for the Academy Awards at the end of the month! I'm sure many of you have been on countless social media sites, online magazines, and have listened to radio and television stations talking about the red carpet fashion gossip, so I won't bore you with more.

The one thing I will comment on that there has been controversy around is Rihanna's gown. I just have to say I loved it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for anything pink and poofy. Anyways, here are my favourite looks from the Grammy red carpet!

The way I see it, there are (usually) 3-4 categories of women's fashion at award shows, three of which I will mention here. The fourth category is the eclectic looks (think Madonna and Lady Gaga; although Gaga's outfit this evening was actually quite calm), of which I am not normally a fan, and none of my favourite looks reside in that category. The first category is gowns. These are normally floor-length, wide, and/or poofy.



Kat Graham: Yanina

Jhene Aiko: Alberta Ferretti

Rihanna: Giambattista Valli Couture

Taylor Swift: Elie Saab

The second category are the semi-formal dresses. These are usually more simple than the gowns, and also shorter (just above or below the knee), and while they can still be sparkly (like Katy's below), they are not as wide or fancy as the gowns.

Katy Perry: Zuhair Murad

Brooklyn Haley

James Corden (left) and Julia Carey (right)

The third category is menswear-inspired. As you can see below, this category usually consists of plain ensembles of jumpsuits, pantsuits, or beautifully-tailored trousers and top. As much as I love a fantasy-esque gown, this third category has most recently become my favourite, because I find that, as a spectator, this category is most relatable and wearable in our everyday lives.

Haim; Focus on Danielle's outfit (middle): Stella McCartney)

Gwen Stefani: Atelier Versace

Anna Kendrick: Band of Outsiders

What was your favourite look from the 57th Grammy Awards?!

No comments:

Post a Comment